Web design entails conceptualizing a website and arranging content in the form of text, images, etc. on the internet.
Web designing and website development are terms that are often used interchangeably. However, both are quite different. Web design entails the structure and features of the website that appears on the internet while web development refers to the functional aspects of the website.
Website design is about the user-experience aspects while website development entails the software development or coding done to make the website functional.
Website design refers to:
- Appearance: The physical appearance of the website is a part of the website design function. The appearance of the website is constituted by colors, fonts, text, and images used in the website.
- Use a color scheme that is aligned to your brand and logo. Also, make sure that the color scheme is consistent and compliments the overall design of the website.
- The font used in the website design must complement the design and must align with the overall color scheme, graphics, and images used in the design.
- It is said that “a picture speaks a thousand words!” Your choice of images and icons is a vital factor in website design. Make sure to use images and icons that are aligned with the design and communicate explicitly what you are trying to convey through your website.
- Layout: The layout of the website refers to its structure and how it is organized. In other words, it refers to how the data is displayed, aspects like where the content and images will appear on the website. A good layout addresses the needs of your audience without distracting them from the message you are trying to convey.
- Content: The text that is displayed on the website is also a constituent of the design aspect. Where the text is placed and how it is displayed, the colors, fonts, etc. are a part of the website design function.
Essential Aspects of Website Design:
- Websites must be aesthetically pleasing.
- Customized to the brand.
- Simplistic designs that are easy to navigate.
- Offer excellent user experience.
- Must be compatible with all devices like mobiles, tablets, and more.
- It must be consistent across devices.
- The website must load quickly or the loading speed must be low.
There are two techniques used in website design:
- Adaptive Website Design: In an adaptive website design one or more versions of the website are available that can adapt to different screen sizes. The adaptive design may be created to either adapt according to the type of device or according to the browser width.
- Responsive Website Design: These designs use flexible grid features. In a responsive website design the percentage a specific element takes on the grid is fixed irrespective of the screen size. Responsive websites change according to the size of the screen on which they are accessed.
There is a lot that goes into creating a perfect website. Therefore, it is recommended that you engage professionals in designing your website.
If you are looking for innovative website designs, connect with the team at JWV Development!